Sunday, June 21, 2015

Beauty in literature, acting, art, music, photography and food

 
I've never been one for painting or photography, because, well, I suck. I've tried and trust me when I say, I do suck, badly. It doesn't stop me marveling at the ability of an artist to capture the glistening moon on a lake, the rising sun on the beach, or the broken face of someone who's seen nothing but heartache.

Photography's much the same. It sounds simple enough, 


get yourself a good camera, point, and shoot, but it's not that simple. You have to first see beauty where no one else does, you have to capture that perfect moment, that perfect expression, that special moment frozen in time that astounds and fills our chests with longing. I have nothing but respect for artists of all sorts.


As for acting... I think you'd find it extremely difficult to find someone who doesn't like television, doesn't like actors. We spend most of our time in front of the box, we like it. Admit it! I've been in a few plays at school, but like painting and photography, I'm completely lost. I end up sounding like that cartoon Tasmanian devil.




Food... OMG food! Who doesn't love to eat, from a tender juicy steak, to deliciously devilish chocolate cake. I can cook, not like a chef, I admit I'm not that good, but I can get edible food on a plate, but some people just have that extra special ability of making everyday ingredients into something spectacular, out of this world... they have the ability to make weight conscious people to scoff down an entire cake and smile despite the ache in their stomach.



Music I understand. Since the first time I heard my primary school band, I've felt this pull, this adrenaline, this... I honestly don't know how to explain it.
Nothing else feels like it. I'm not the most emotional person in the world, but when I sing, it seems to drain me of every worry, every bit of pain I've ever felt. It pours out of me like a tap, and apparently I can hold a tune pretty well.

 
Then there's the reason I started to reading, started writing. Since I was five, I've suffered with daily migraines, then from twelve onwards, cluster headaches as well. Singing still brought me joy, but around seven years ago, it started to also bring me pain. A lot of it. When I sing, my head goes off like a rocket. It feels like I've been kicked in the head with a steel capped boot. I needed another outlet and I found one when I bought myself a laptop. I was bored out of my brain, didn't have the internet set up yet, but wanted to play with my new toy. So I started writing about a dream I once felt the need to pen. It never crossed my mind to make it into manuscript or a novel, but I just felt this need to write. So I did.




Then my beautiful cousin bought me Twilight for Christmas. The first book I'd received, or read since I was a young girl. I felt just as satisfied, just as full of love and joy as I did from singing when I finished that book. The only exception... no pain.

Its then I decided to turn my dream, into a manuscript. I've never looked back. I can honestly say that I will continue to write until my dying breathe whether I'm formally published or not, because I need to write, I can't explain that either, I just need to.

There's unbelievable beauty in art. Cherish what you see, what you hear, what you smell, what you touch, cherish it all, because we are all in love with art in one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment