Sunday, January 3, 2016

Lunar, the moon goddess

I'm back!! I've ignored my blog for far too long, instead working. The last day of my holidays, is the day I decide to write something on here. Typical, yes? 

Anyways, I was trying to think of an interesting subject to write about, something to help aspiring authors like myself, when I came to the conclusion... that I know nothing, nothing, nothing!!! about giving other people advice. I'm an aspiring author, struggling to wade my way through the world of literature. 

So instead, I'm writing what I love. Fiction. This is Lunar, the moon goddess. 


https://pixabay.com/en/moon-tree-kahl-silhouette-165487/
Image by Geralt at Pixabay
For eons, Lunar, the beautiful silver haired moon goddess, with eyes filled with stars, commanded her own realm, untouchable, unattainable, even to the other gods. The moon goddess's powers were contained by the realm itself, too powerful to venture out into the heavens, or the planes below, forbidden from leaving her home, her prison; answering the prayers of witches and protecting the majestic realm of the moon. 

Without the need for rest, without the need for companionship, the temptations of the night, and the shadows of the dark moon, heralding whispers of malevolence, were unable to corrupt her, her still heart pure as snow.

Night after night the goddess watched, bathed in her silvery light, happily looking down on the planes below, the lives of the mortals and fae, intriguing... amusing in the long hours of the night.


Image by Werner22brigitte at Pixabay
Lunar craved no attention, felt no love or lust, until she turned her eyes on a lake, and found a single man, resting on the grass, his beautiful water like wings, marking him as fae. His mouth moved in whispers, his eyes transfixed on the lake, words too far out of reach to hear. 

The faery suddenly lifted his eyes to the heavens, a beautiful smile lighting up his face, his watery eyes boring into her soul. 

Impossible. He couldn't see her. Nobody sees her. Yet, there he was, staring at her with those eyes, that smile... then for the first time in her long life, Lunar's heart began to beat. 

Pain rippled through her chest, as the unfamiliar organ picked up speed, rhythm. The faery man returned his gaze to the water, and continued talking to himself. 

Lunar watched the faery man for many nights, each time her heart miraculously starting to beat. 

One evening when the full moon hung low in the sky, Lunar hovered on the border of her realm, close enough to hear his words, craving the beating heart, the butterflies that filled her stomach... to feel, to love, to lust.

The faery man smiled, and turned to face her once again. "I know you’re there. I can feel you.”

Lunar's still heart tried to beat it's way out of her chest, her eyes filled with tears. She now knew love, wanted love. 

She did the one thing she thought she'd never do.. descended from her realm, leaving the moon unprotected, appearing in front of the faery man dressed in a white gown of glowing white moon dust.

Image by Larisa-K at Pixabay
The faery man did not scream, did not run; he just smiled.

“My Lunar” The faery man sighed, embracing her and resting his forehead on hers. 

“You know me?” Lunar blinked, stunned the faery man knew her name, her hands held awkwardly by her sides.

Stroking her hair, the faery man kissed her shoulder, his lips soft, sending shivers down her spine. “I have looked on you my entire life. Forever I have loved you, watched your smile in the reflection of the river. My lunar.”

“But how?” Lunar pulled away and tilted her head, her silver hair falling down to her waist.

The faery man grinned “The reflection. I have seen your true form in the mirror of water.”
Image by TBIT at Pixabay

The lake, that was why he spoke to the lake. He was speaking to her... her reflection. Lunar blushed, and lowered her eyes. “You may know my name, but I not yours.”

“I am Chello," the faery man bowed formally and cocked his head to the side, with a cheeky grin. "And I am yours.”

Lunar's beating heart, filled with love, filled with longing, skipped in her chest. 

“And I am yours” whispered Lunar.

With that declaration of love, Lunar was transformed from moon goddess, to an immortal human, both a gift, and a curse from the gods. Lunar would live forever, but she would age, and continue to age past mortal years.

The lingering essence of Lunar’s light, lit the night sky for centuries, her power so deeply ingrained into the realm, no replacement was immediately needed, the Realm Keeper, Star, protecting the veil that lead to majestic moon. 

But when the power began to fade, the light of lunar could only sustain the delicate moon for phases, the dark moon blanketing the planes with insidious innuendo.

A dark goddess would need to govern the lunar when the dark moon reigned. 

Hecate, daughter of the once human Persephone, and Demon Lord Hades, bore the marking of the triple crescent on her neck, the first born of human descent with the essence of pure malevolence in her veins. 

A Dark Goddess, Keeper of the Crossroads, with the human ability of compassion. She was the one to command the dark cycle, she was to be the Dark Moon Goddess.


Image by Loganart at Pixabay

No comments:

Post a Comment