Friday, April 17, 2015

Whining Protagonist/Annoying lead characters

 Since the inception of Twilight, YA paranormal fiction has increased in popularity, but there's been somewhat of a trend that I've noticed, and I find really irritating. The whiny protagonist. Always crying, always having a mental breakdown, an identity crisis, or simply throwing everything away for love.

I must admit, I'm no romantic. I don't like flowers. They're pretty, but they stink, although jasmine's not too bad. Chocolate makes me sick but I eat truck loads of the stuff. I'd rather get a burger and fries and sit on the beach than sit in a snooty restaurant with a meal the size of an appetizer; I'd rather listen to Metallica than Barry White; I'd rather plain honesty and banter, to poetry and corny lines; and I'd rather do the nut-bush than waltz in a ballroom. So maybe that's why I don't get why the main character would throw away their family, their friends, their wants and desires for love.
 
And the crying. Oh my god the crying. I don't cry when I'm frustrated or something doesn't go my way. I get angry, furious in fact. I don't break down when loves falls apart, I suck it up and move on. If the world went to shit and I ended up separated from my partner, I wouldn't shut down, I wouldn't cry. I'd find them, I'd save them, there'd be hell to pay and I'd pull the world apart looking for them.

Take Bella from Twilight for example. I loved the books, loved the idea, it's the reason I started reading, the inspiration I needed to write, but the girl bugged me. Everyone said Kristen Stewart was whiny and annoying, well that's because the character was written to be whiny and annoying with a bit martyrdom thrown in there.
 
So what makes these protagonist's so marketable?  Do we want to date these characters? Do we relate to them? Want to be them?

I read every young adult paranormal fiction book I can, I watch all the movies based on the books, and I'm always frustrated when the main, supposedly strong minded character cries in majority of the scenes. I'm not saying that crying is a sign of weakness, it's not, not by any means, but if you knew someone who continuously broke into tears at random times over a short period of time, you'd be seriously concerned about their mental state. Right?

Just for a second, switch the roles, make Edward Cullen the whiny annoying one, and Bella the brooding vampire... The story reads a little differently now doesn't it.

No comments:

Post a Comment