Monday, April 13, 2015

E-Reader or old fashioned book

Image courtesy of Michelle Meiklejohn
at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
So what do you like? E-reader or old fashioned books?

Believe it or not, although I've self published a small children's book on amazon, I don't have an e-reader. Well, that's a lie, I do have one. My mother bought it for me and it's sitting in the box in the cupboard. Why??? Because I like to read books. Hold in your hand, spill your coffee on, take up all your space, page turning books. I don't know why but it's relaxing to lay on the couch with a book in your hands. I''m always in front of a screen whether it be my phone or computer, so when I sit down to chill out, that's the last thing I want to do.

Nowadays everything's on the internet or in some kind of screen form. TV, computer, laptop, phone, ipad and tablets, e-readers etc etc... Even exercise is on a screen with apps and games.

I get that books are cheaper on e-reader and people like me still hold out hope of some sort of publishing if we get rejected by every agent or publisher (haven't been completely rejected yet), but do people still download and read everything they can?

I read a blog the other week that said that people don't download many self published authors anymore or books from authors who aren't their favorites for one simple reason, Data. They don't have a lot of room on their e-readers so they're more selective. Which brings me back to the same point, E-reader or old fashioned book.

When I read the back of a book and like it, I'll buy it. I don't automatically wonder whether I have enough room on my bookcase. I'll make room! So do e-readers restrict the amount of books you read? Do you have to delete the books in your virtual book case to download more? or can you transfer them to another device? Laptop for example, to free up room.

Obviously I don't understand e-readers very well, but I know I like the physical book held in my hand, and to do that, you need to publish traditionally.

Just a thought...



No comments:

Post a Comment