Sunday, April 5, 2015

To swear, or not to swear? That is that question.

So there!
I've read a lot of negative thoughts when it comes to swearing in YA books, and some positive.

I, for one, don't mind it at all. I swear a hell of a lot through my books (not yet published). At first I was reluctant to swear because people told me I couldn't write that. People would disapprove, complain... my book would be banned.

I thought OMG! I don't want that. I don't want to be banned or attacked just for using the less desirable words of the English language.

Then I was walking home from the shopping center and saw some kids playing in the park. As I walked by, I heard the language coming out of their mouths. You think the F* word is bad! Uh ah, no way! These kids, these little kids, maybe 10 at the most, were using the C* bomb! Feminists world wide would be offended.

I listened on the bus, I listened as I walked through the shops, the streets... restaurants, and heard how common swearing is amongst youngsters. I swear like a sailor, always have, so do my friends. So do a lot of people.

So why should I let someone sensor me or my book? Why should I let some disapproving prude, or even a religious group tell me what's acceptable and what's not? My book is about witches, gods, faeries, and demons!!! They're going to hate it anyway, and if people are honest with themselves, everyone swears, even if it's only once in their lifetime.

In the end I decided that if I'm going to be persecuted because of my imagination, it may as well have realistic dialogue. The world we live in isn't filled with gosh darn's or golly's, it's full of profanity and brutal truth's.

So I say, let them swear!

No comments:

Post a Comment