Saturday, March 28, 2015

Managing your own marketing

I'm tired. Thought you might like to know that. Hmm... well, maybe not, but I'm sharing anyway so too bad.

For the last week, I've been updating my online social presence and it's exhausting. My online presence consists of mainly this blog, my Facebook page, my twitter page, creating Google plus site, pin-interest and amazon (prologue for sale).

These are the things you don't often read about. There are site's here and there that talk about having an online presence and the importance of this, but no one goes into detail about which sites you should spend your time on.

Don't look at me for answers. I don't have them. This, is just a rant, and talking through ideas.

When I created my Facebook account, I used a completely separate profile, under my pen name TRL Boyd. It seemed smart at the time. I didn't want my personal life to impact on my writing persona and vice versa. Who really wants to harass their friends. Stupid huh? Not like I have a ready and waiting audience, my books not even published yet, self or otherwise.

So basically anytime I post something here, I post on my Facebook site, then repost again to my personal page. Then there's twitter, I don't have a personal twitter account at all, only one under my pen name and I have a completely different email for writing matters. It's great in one way, but again, I don't have an audience or even a list of friends to contact. I could do them one by one, but I'm lazy.

The one site I noticed gets a lot of traffic, is Google plus. I had nothing on my page, NOTHING! and over two thousand people viewed it. So I worked on my Google plus page and linked the others. Made sense to put the most amount of effort into the page that receives the most traffic. Right?

In the end, although I don't have a published, or completed book yet, I now have an online presence. I post mainly thoughts and research everything I can get my hands on, but it's fun. I love to read, I love to write, I love making candles, branch accessories... want to get into resin jewelry, everything messy, creative and full of life.  I sing, I play guitar, I love animals and often throw tantrums.

Now because of social media and the internet, it's not only my friends and family who know this. You do too. Obviously be cautious what you put out there, because you can't take it back.

Best Sites for social media
  • Google Plus +
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Pin-Interest
  • Instagram
  • Blog
  • Youtube
  • Good Reads
  • Message boards




No comments:

Post a Comment