Sunday, May 31, 2015

Battle of the sexes - Protagonists

Image sourced Gerd Altmann - Pixabay
It's funny how the world has changed. If you look back over the years, you'll see a lot of male protagonists. Star Wars for example, Luke Skywalker saving the day, or Superman, or Batman. If you look at that era, there are some female protagonists, most decked out in skimpy outfits. I don't know about you, but if I was Wonder Woman, I wouldn't be running around in a tiny  little outfit. I'd probably wear yoga pants , a singlet, and a pair of sneakers to make it easier on myself. I feel bad for Batman and Superman too, running around in tights.

But this day and age, the tide has turned. You hear literary agents, publishers and readers asking where all the male protagonists have gone? Why are all these books based on female hero's? I can't believe it's because only females read these books, that's ridiculous, nor do I think it's because the manuscripts are written by women. I think it's because men aren't the only ones who have a superhero complex anymore. Woman want to be strong, want to be the ones to save the day, make a difference.


Is this real? Seriously?
Whether the suppression of woman is acknowledged or not, it happened. Some of the old advertisements I see on Facebook may make me laugh, but people actually lived through those times where female teachers weren't allowed to date, had to be in the house at certain times; pamphlets were handed out on how to train your woman. Outrageous right?

Well I think so. I'm lucky to live in an era where a woman can work, men can stay at home with the kids and help out with housework, a time when equality isn't laughable. Sure it's not perfect, there are sexist people out there, misogynistic jerks, and even some men hating feminists, but not all.

Maybe that's why there are so many female protagonists? Breaking free of the suppression, demolishing the stereo type. Men are strong, and they're expected to be, but no matter the equality, women are stereotyped into being emotional. If a girl gets angry at a man and screams her head off, the general consensus is... she's got her period. I mean really? That's the only reason you're going to get screamed at?

Image sourced - alan9187 - Pixabay

Whatever the reason, male protagonists will make a come back, and female ones will share the spotlight. A bit of 50/50 never hurt anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment