Sunday, July 12, 2015

Beautiful Words


I'm having a bit of a tired week this week. My brain's not really working at full capacity, so instead of writing a rant like I usually do, I'm just going to share quotes from other writers that have inspired me to keep writing no matter what.

Here they are, these beautiful authors who have shared a bit of their soul, have dragged me kicking and screaming from depths on inadequacy and uncertainty, into a realm of hope.


  1. If a book is well written, I always find it too short - Jane Austin
  2. The function of the first draft is to help you figure out your story. The function of every draft after that, is to figure out the most dramatic way to tell that story - Darcy Pattison
  3. The first chapter sells the book. The last chapter sells the next book - Mickey Spillane
  4. Good writers define reality; Bad ones merely restate it - Edward Albee
  5. If a story is in you, it has to come out - William Faulkner
  6. I think it's the people who have no doubt that every word they put down is gold that probably don't write very well - Dean Koontz
  7. Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is - Mark Twain
  8. When people say, Did you always want to be a writer? I have to say no, I always was a writer - Ursula Le Guin
  9. I write because I don't know what I think until I read what I say - Flanner O'Connor
  10. A real writer doesn't just want to write, they have to write.
  11. Quiet people have the loudest minds - Stephen King
  12. Good books don't give up all their secrets at once - Stephen King
  13. If you don't see the book you want on the shelf, write it - Beverly Cleary
  14. If a writer falls in love with you, you can never die 
  15. There is nothing to writing . All you do is sit down at a type writer and bleed - Ernest Hemmingway
  16. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all - in which case you have failed by default - J K Rowling.
Apologies if I didn't get them exactly right, or if I could find the author behind the words, but the sentiment is still there. 

Beautiful words that put you on the right track, or simply tell you never to give up. 
Thank you xxoo

No comments:

Post a Comment