Sunday, March 20, 2016

What the hell do I call my Protagonist's parent's?

This subject is my latest issue. What the hell do you call the Protagonist's parent's? 

My manuscript is written in the third person, so at first I thought it was logical to call the parent's by their actual names, but the more I edit my manuscript, the more I disconnect, because although it's written from an outside point of view, it's also written to follow the protagonist and her journey. 
Image by Janeke88 via Pixabay


Which brings me to my question. What the hell do I call them? 

I can honestly say I would never call my parents by their given names. I have at times introduced them by their given names to in-laws, colleagues and friends, but always first as my parents. Even then, it feels strange to call them by their names, disrespectful in some way. 

I turned to Google to research the topic, as many people do, and surprisingly, I didn't find a great deal of information. I did find a few question and answer forum's, with people expressing their opinions, some saying to call them by their name if the manuscript is written in the third person, some saying to call them mother, or father.
Image by CCO Public Domain via Pixabay


I originally thought that repeatedly typing "her mother said this", "her mother did that", "her father did this", her father did that", would read poorly, the continued use of the term, off-putting and distracting, but after editing four chapters to incorporate the term, and reading through the manuscript once again, I found I was wrong. 

It wasn't jolting, it wasn't distracting, and it didn't irritate me. In fact, the manuscript seems to flow better now. I'm not sure whether I'll change my mind again and revert to calling them by their names, I'm a bit fickle that way, but so far, it works. 

Speaking sparingly about the parents would eradicate the issue all together, however my protagonist's parents are a constant source throughout the manuscript, so that particular solution wouldn't resolve my issue. 

If you want my amateur advice? Edit the manuscript both ways, see for yourself what works best. I can only assume that each different manuscript requires different formalities.
Image by CC0 Public Domain via Pixabay

No comments:

Post a Comment